The Tracy Inn opened on January 15th, 1927. It was built as a community project that was promoted by the Chamber of Commerce, city leaders, and various civic organizations.
For years the citizens of Tracy had realized that there was a lack of sufficient hotel and meeting accommodations. It was the intent of everyone involved in the Community Hotel Project that the Tracy Inn become the focal point and draw for an expanding area. After an initial survey made by Hockenbury Systems, Inc., and other hotel consultants, plans were drawn, and construction began. The architects on the building were Slocombe and Tuttle of Oakland. The builder was J.F. Shepherd of Stockton. The new hotel included 60 guest rooms, a large lobby, assembly/banquet rooms, and retail/restaurant space. The Tracy Inn building adheres to Spanish architecture, including Spanish Colonial Revival design features.
Throughout the years two main expansions took place. The first took place in the early 1930s to add more hotel rooms, a large banquet room, and expanded kitchen facilities. The second took place in the mid 1960s and is the section that now borders Central Ave. on the original location of Central School. The Inn became the center of many community activities, hosting Tracy service clubs and acting as a venue for wedding receptions, banquets, and other meetings and events.
Today the Tracy Inn is on the National Register of Historic Places and remains one of Tracy's landmark buildings. While hotel room lodging at the Tracy Inn is not presently open for business, the commercial tenants within the Tracy Inn historic building remain open for business in the heart of the ever expanding and revitalized Downtown Tracy.